Re: Is it time to remove sun-java6?

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 2:34 AM, Matthias Klose <doko@debian.org> wrote:
> On 12.10.2009 15:25, Wim De Smet wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Florian Weimer<fw@deneb.enyo.de>  wrote:
>>>
>>> * Gabor Gombas:

>>> Note that the non-applet stuff has been quite usable for a while.
>>> Even the openjdk-6 in lenny is not too bad (it's certainly possible to
>>> run various production loads on it).
>>
>> Last I checked (whatever ubuntu 9.04 used) there were still some major
>> holes in the main class library. Problems where the behaviour of the
>> API just wasn't right. I figured at the time openjdk was just still
>> trailing in functionality and this wasn't supposed to be a full
>> fledged java release. I guess I was wrong and should've bothered to
>> report bugs, but it's definitely not a given that lack of reported
>> bugs == release quality. Couldn't more be done to get users testing it
>> first?
>
> sorry, but that's not more than rants. No bug report, no test case. OpenJDK
> in Ubuntu 9.04 does pass the TCK; if you have trouble with your application
> you should check for uses of sun propriatary APIs.

All you've got is a couple test suites saying it works, but simply not
enough users to back you up on it. Had there been a functioning java
plugin, perhaps those users might not have switched away from openjdk.

As for a specific issue, there's one that comes to mind which is not
technical, but will probably have an impact on many users. Most apps
assume java fonts will just be available. OpenJDK doesn't include
these, so you'll probably end up breaking a great swath of java
desktop applications.

Another bug I remember is problems using fork(), where the jdk shows
completely different behaviour (and both are arguably "correct"). I
believe that one's known upstream and might be fixed by now.

regards,
Wim