Re: Is it time to remove sun-java6?

On 12.10.2009 15:25, Wim De Smet wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Florian Weimer<fw@deneb.enyo.de>  wrote:
* Gabor Gombas:

- start advertising that openjdk/icedtea is now supposed to be usable,

Note that the non-applet stuff has been quite usable for a while.
Even the openjdk-6 in lenny is not too bad (it's certainly possible to
run various production loads on it).

Last I checked (whatever ubuntu 9.04 used) there were still some major
holes in the main class library. Problems where the behaviour of the
API just wasn't right. I figured at the time openjdk was just still
trailing in functionality and this wasn't supposed to be a full
fledged java release. I guess I was wrong and should've bothered to
report bugs, but it's definitely not a given that lack of reported
bugs == release quality. Couldn't more be done to get users testing it
first?

sorry, but that's not more than rants. No bug report, no test case. OpenJDK in Ubuntu 9.04 does pass the TCK; if you have trouble with your application you should check for uses of sun propriatary APIs.

  Matthias