Re: Is it time to remove sun-java6?

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:33 PM, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> * Gabor Gombas:
>
>> - start advertising that openjdk/icedtea is now supposed to be usable,
>
> Note that the non-applet stuff has been quite usable for a while.
> Even the openjdk-6 in lenny is not too bad (it's certainly possible to
> run various production loads on it).

Last I checked (whatever ubuntu 9.04 used) there were still some major
holes in the main class library. Problems where the behaviour of the
API just wasn't right. I figured at the time openjdk was just still
trailing in functionality and this wasn't supposed to be a full
fledged java release. I guess I was wrong and should've bothered to
report bugs, but it's definitely not a given that lack of reported
bugs == release quality. Couldn't more be done to get users testing it
first?

regards,
Wim