Re: Switching /bin/sh to dash (part two)

Kurt Roeckx wrote:
On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 06:04:13PM +0200, Raphael Geissert wrote:
Hello everybody,

This is a follow up to my previous thread, with a slightly different proposal.

What actually needs to be done is:
* Make dash essential, make it divert the current /bin/sh symlink by default, make another essential package depend on dash. Prompt the user before diverting on interactive upgrades.

I'm not sure what an "interactive upgrade" is.  How do you detect
that?  Is that when it's not run from d-i or something?

interactive is when it's not in d-i and has an interactive debconf frontend.

Detecting it will probably mean looking if bash is installed or not (during d-i/debootstrap, we will make sure dash is installed before bash).

Does this mean it's going to ask us on each upgrade?

No, only on first installation.

With the Depends you're letting people install it now, so on
first _install_ it's going to divert it without prompt?  Or is
that part of the "interactive upgrade"?

No, on first installation it will ask.

Cheers

Luk