Re: The wider implications of stuffing the NEW queue with issues it was not designed for.

Le Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 09:55:30AM +0200, Julien BLACHE a écrit :

> Or can I just override every lintian test and upload my totally broken
> package?

Sure you can, yet you never did. Why?

Do we have evidence that maintainers have damaged the project in the past by
willingfully upload packages with overriden lintian errors?

We have a whole range of procedure for dealing with maintainers whose behaviour
is not pleasing the majority:

 - Whishlist bugs when it is a matter of taste.
 - Non-RC bugs when we think they are wrong.
 - RC bugs to protect our users.
 - The technical comittee when the problem can not be resolved by discussion.
 - The DMUP to remove upload rights of developers who upload damaging
   packages on purpose.
 - Expulsions procedures for developers that the Project do not trust after
   they harmed us or our users on purpose.

I do not see where the systematic review of some lintian errors overrides at
upload time by the FTP team fits there. Especially that there is no procedure
for the resolution of disagreements, that we can expect to be time-consuming.
And today, the NEW queue managed by four persons dedicating 5-10 hours per week
to the Debian archive contains 265 packages, some of them waiting for one month
or more. I disagree with their decision to self-appoint themselves with a new
duty while they are already lacking time for the current one they volunteered
for.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy