Re: The wider implications of dbus breakage

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 03:14:15AM +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Roger Leigh schrieb:
> >
> > If you run a current unstable system, with a default (empty)
> > xorg.conf this disables C-A-Fn and C-A-Bksp to switch to a
> > virtual terminal or kill a dead X server.  I noticed that if you
>
> C-A-Bksp disabled by default is an Xorg upstream decision, has nothing
> to do with D-Bus or HAL or whatever.

This is the real breakage here.  It's easy for X to leave you no way out,
all it takes is a window manager gone apeshit -- or indeed, dbus failing.
There are so many window managers and similar creatures in Debian, there's
no chance to make them all bug-free no matter how we try.  It's unacceptable
to leave the user with no choice but a hard reboot -- or even to force them
to ssh in if they have sshd installed.

--
1KB		// Microsoft corollary to Hanlon's razor:
		//	Never attribute to stupidity what can be