Re: The wider implications of dbus breakage

Roger Leigh schrieb:

> If you run a current unstable system, with a default (empty)
> xorg.conf this disables C-A-Fn and C-A-Bksp to switch to a
> virtual terminal or kill a dead X server.  I noticed that if you

You are mixing a few things here:

C-A-Bksp disabled by default is an Xorg upstream decision, has nothing
to do with D-Bus or HAL or whatever.

No keyboard or mouse if HAL/D-Bus not running.
HAL is used for input hotplugging. See [1] for more details.
fwiw I heartily agree with you, that if HAL/D-Bus is not available, Xorg
should have a safe fallback, so a basic mouse/keyboard setup is always
available. I don't find the current behaviour of Xorg reasonable. This
is best dealt with in a bug aginst xorg-server though, and not an issue
that needs discussing on debian-devel.

Cheers,
Michael

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide