Re: ia32-libs{-tools}, multiarch, squeeze

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 05:35:13PM +0000, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On 2009-07-05, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
> > 3) How to maintain the chroot. With the chroots that I use (I've 4 of
<snip>
> OTOH the main system is not automatically upgraded neither.  Maybe a post-
> upgrade hook or similar would be appropriate in this case?

Sure. My point was more about the _additional_ need of upgrading
sub-systems, need of which users might not be aware, while they are
expected to be aware of how to upgrade the main system.  More
generally, the issue is how to integrate the management of sub-systems
within the management (and related tools) we already have to manage
the main systems.

That, unsurprisingly, is the same problem faced by ia32-libs and, by
popular judgement, badly handled. More interestingly, it is in some
way also the same problem that will be faced in maintaining images for
virtual machines ... (as long as the virtual machines are still
Debian).

Cheers.