Re: ia32-libs{-tools}, multiarch, squeeze

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> And hey, the "good" reason was "diverting the package management tools
> is unacceptable". But, no, we have to do insults instead of arguing.

Alas, despite the diversion of the package management tools, I find ia32-
apt-get pretty useful.

For instance, I wanted to test Firefox 3.5 in 32bits on my amd64 Debian
(64bit Firefox 3.5 does not have the new tracemonkey javascript engine).
With ia32-apt-get, I could install the 32bit version of my GTK theme engine
so that Firefox can look good.

Is there a design problem in converting 32bits libraries to ia32-* packages
or the sole problem is the diversion of apt-get and co?

If there's no design flaw, wouldn't ia32-archive be the correct path? I mean
a system to install converted packages which is set apart the package
management system (until the actual package installation of course)?

Yannick