Re: Let’s turn DEP5 into something useful

On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 09:17 +0000, Bart Martens wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:52:36AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> >
> > The real problem with DEP5 is not the format (which is not worse for a
> > small package than the current one), it is with the unrealistic amount
> > of information that it requires to fill and maintain.
> > [..]
> >
> > So, how about dropping entirely anything that’s related to files and
> > only keep the amount of information we are requiring now? [..]
>
> I agree with this "let's get real".
+1
> I would even go further: The focus should be less on making it easier for
> machines to read debian/copyright and more on machines generating a
> human-readable debian/copyright.

I believe it is very important to have machine parseable list of
license.
For instance, lintian/apt/dpkg/$whatever could check "Package Foo
(license Apache) depends on the library Bar (license GPL)"
Also, some organisation may have concerns regarding one specific
license.

> The program "licensecheck" in package "devscripts" is a good start to
> find licenses.

For those who are interested, it would still be possible to publish such
automatic analyses (with the usual large red disclaimer "This
information may not be accurate, Read the source Luke").

KISS

Franklin

--
 KISS Principle - Keep it Simple and S*