Re: Let’s turn DEP5 into something useful

On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:52:36AM +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently, DEP5 is not, contrary to what the name says, about a
> “machine-readable debian/copyright”. It is about providing a much
> broader amount of licensing information on our source packages.
>
> The real problem with DEP5 is not the format (which is not worse for a
> small package than the current one), it is with the unrealistic amount
> of information that it requires to fill and maintain.
>

> So, how about dropping entirely anything that’s related to files and
> only keep the amount of information we are requiring now?  I feel sorry
> for the giant bikeshedding thread about spaces and commas, but it is not
> getting us anywhere.

I agree with this "let's get real".

I would even go further: The focus should be less on making it easier for
machines to read debian/copyright and more on machines generating a
human-readable debian/copyright.  The program "licensecheck" in package
"devscripts" is a good start to find licenses.

Regards,

Bart Martens