Re: DEP 5 and directory/file names with spaces

On 2009-06-08, Giacomo A. Catenazzi <cate@cateee.net> wrote:
> The <slash> is locale dependent. Thus a file created in an other locales
> could contain the character that in current locale is interpreted as
><slash>.
> BTW with pathname resolution rules, the file could not be acceded, but
> AFAIK the non pathname resolution system call permit <slash>
> (like readdir).
>
> > [http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/000095399/basedefs/xbd_chap03.html 3.169]
>
> You are linking the old posix specification. On the new, point 3.170, you
> see that now <slash> is written between angle parenthesis, to emphasize
> that <slash> is to be interpreted as locale dependent character.

So actually I just got hold of the new POSIX specification by using
IEEEexplore at university.  (Is it really true that you can't get it
freely!?)

3.347 says that <slash> represents the literal character '/', not
something locale-dependent.  Everything else would've been stupid IMHO,
if the old standard is still the only sanely available one and you
suddenly need to care about a different character.

Kind regards,
Philipp Kern