Re: DEP 5 and directory/file names with spaces

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 10:12:48AM -0400, Jonathan Yu wrote:
> In my defense, you don't mention how many filenames have newlines (my
> estimate is zero.)

Because my position was that the frequency of each of these characters is
negligible, so the escaping mechanism we choose has no practical impact.
Trying to check for newlines in the output of 'tar' would have taken more
work and doesn't matter to my point - I agree that newlines are going to be
less frequent, but that doesn't invalidate a claim that the others are
infrequent enough.