Re: DEP 5 and directory/file names with spaces

On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 11:07:15PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I think that how to specifiy a list of files is in the end in the hands of the
> people writing parsers.

I think that this optimises for the wrong thing. The parsing code will be wrote
once, or only a few times at most. The file format will be authored hundreds, if
not thousands of time. All other things being equal, it makes more sense for us
to make it easy for packagers.

> So, from a parser point of view, what would be preferable

If I was implementing this in Python, it would be easier for me to parse comma
separated values because the "csv" module already handles this. Unfortunately,
if I specified " " as the separator, I would have to quote filenames instead of
escaping any spaces with a reverse solidus.

Best,