Re: fstrcmp

On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 11:04 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Peter Miller:
>
> > I've been considering turning my fuzzy string compare function into a
> > library.
>
> I would certainly welcome that.
>
> Would you be willing to relicense it under a more permissive license,
> so that we don't have to worry about OpenSSL license compatibility
> etc.?
>
> >         /**
> >          * the fstrcmp function compare two strings, to determine how
> >          * similar two strings appear.
> >          *
> >          * @param s1
> >          *     The first of the strings to compare.
> >          * @param s2
> >          *     The second of the strings to compare.
> >          * @returns
> >          *     a number between 0.0 and 1.0; 0.0 means the strings are
> >          *     nothing alike, 1.0 means the two strings are identical.
> >          */
> >         double fstrcmp(const char *s1, const char *s2);
>
> It could be helpful if it didn't use floating point because we support
> some systems where floating point is software-emulated.
>
> I don't think we've got a library of C goodies.  libbsd is something
> in that direction, but if your function isn't in the BSDs, it probably
> doesn't fit there, either.

There is libmowgli (don't ask why it's named this, we just picked
something random), but it requires all core modules to be licensed under
ISC.  There is some Windows portability components that are LGPL.

Unfortunately, we're renovating the atheme.org website right now, so
instructions to submit additional components are not yet available.

William