Re: Support of new source packages in squeeze

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009, James Westby wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-08 at 17:11 +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > There's nothing to specify here, dpkg-source uses all additional tarballs
> > that match the regexp (exactly like it identifies the .orig tarball
> > currently).
>
> bzr-builddeb will endeavour to provide the ".orig.tar.gz" for a format 1
> package, so that you can construct a source package from a bzr branch.
>
> This will be essentially impossible for 3.0 (quilt) packages that
> use multiple tarballs, as there is no information in the unpacked
> source package that tells you which tarballs are needed. This is a
> pretty serious problem in my eyes.

I could create debian/source/orig-components at unpack time and maybe even
have dpkg-source -b check for their existence but I'm not yet convinced
that this problem needs to be solved at the dpkg-source level.

Furthermore, creating debian/source/orig-components is interesting
for your use case together with --skip-debianization and it's somewhat
weird to have only that file in the debian tree in that case.

What do others think ?

If bzr-builddeb wants to provide the tarballs, they must have been
injected at some point (otherwise you won't provide pristine tarballs)
and you could record the additional information at that point.

If you don't record that info and if you provide a single tarball, the
resulting package will still work, but this tarball is never
going to be pristine. That's all.

> Have you thought about how this will work with things such as uscan?
> Having some way to check for newer versions of all the tarballs that
> go together to make the source package would be important.

I have not designed solution for all tools. But I'm fully aware that uscan
will need adjustments to cope with this. It's even listed in the wiki
page. Feel free to file a bug about this so that they can think of a
solution.

(That said packages with multiple tarballs are a large minority and it's
not a big deal if uscan support is not fully aware of additional tarballs
in the beginning)

> Something will be needed for the use case I have, your proposed option
> sounds sensible to me.

Ok, will try to have that in dpkg 1.15.1.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/