Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?

On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:17:17PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Remaining concerns:
>
> - each of these dbg packages requires manual modification to the source
>   package (incl. adding the package to debian/control)
> - each has to go through the NEW queue
> - each takes up space afterwards in the Packages file
>
> Much better if these can be generated centrally as part of the builds.

What about backports?

What about locally-built packages?

("Sorry, we can't help you debug your probelem until you ditch that
package you built and build from source like Real Men should").

In addition to that: core dumps are most useful in the system where they
were dumped. But getting a trace requires installing gdb. Should it be
possible to get the backtracing capabilities of gdb in a smaller
package?

BTW: I only installed a -symdbg (debug.debian.nbet) package one on a
system of mine. At next upgrade of the original package I had to
manually remove that package. -dbg package simply got upgraded.