Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

>> If the -dbg files were more like these sizes:

>> I doubt there's be too much concern....
>
> Remaining concerns:
>
> - each of these dbg packages requires manual modification to the source
>  package (incl. adding the package to debian/control)
> - each has to go through the NEW queue
> - each takes up space afterwards in the Packages file
>
> Much better if these can be generated centrally as part of the builds.

Agreed.

To be more useful, this would require that the ftpmaster team allow
source-only uploads or at least always rebuild binary packages
provided by maintainers on the buildds (where the build process can be
more easily controlled).

ftpmasters, what is your current position on source-only uploads or
throwing away maintainer-built debs?

--
bye,
pabs