Re: -dbg packages; are they actually useful?

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 10:03:28AM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 09:17:17PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > Remaining concerns:

> > - each of these dbg packages requires manual modification to the source
> >   package (incl. adding the package to debian/control)
> > - each has to go through the NEW queue
> > - each takes up space afterwards in the Packages file

> > Much better if these can be generated centrally as part of the builds.

> What about backports?

> What about locally-built packages?

What about them?  Are you suggesting that we should instead continue to
manually add -dbg packages to all source packages for the benefit of people
who aren't even using our binary packages?

> ("Sorry, we can't help you debug your probelem until you ditch that
> package you built and build from source like Real Men should").

Or they could:

 - build their packages with DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=nostrip, the standard
   mechanism for building packages containing unstripped binaries, or
 - use the pkgbinarymangler script, available as a package from Ubuntu, to
   autogenerate debug packages from any debhelper-using package as part of
   the build