Re: Forthcoming changes in kernel-package

On Wed, Feb 25 2009, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@ieee.org> writes:

>>> Is there going to be a way for people to replace the changelog with
>>> one that contains useful information in that case?  I've been doing
>>> this by doing a make-kpkg configure and then editing the
>>> debian/changelog file afterwards...>
>>
>>         I have a plan for something like this, though currently there is
>>  no code. I was thinking of doing an "overlay" for ./debian, kind of
>>  like what ikiwiki and request-tracker do; so /usr/share/kernel-package
>>  contain the information that goes into ./debian; but if there is a user
>>  specified overlay, then files present in the overlay are used instead
>>  (files not in the overlay dir still come from the default location).
>
> It might be nice to have a changelog.d/ directory in the source with
> sniplets for the debian/changelog. All files would be cated together
> and used as the text for the current changelog entry.
>
> This would have two use cases:
>
> 1) Patch packages can drop a file in there (when the user applies the
>    patch) saying what got applied.
>
> 2) Users can add their own files there detailing what they changed.
>    E.g. '  * added CONFIG_SCSI_DISK=y'
>
> As I write this I notice that (2) doesn't quite work. For my manual
> entries I would like to specify a version. E.g. in 2.6.26-1 I added
> CONFIG_SCSI_DISK=y, in 2.6.26-2 I added CONFIG_SCSI_CDROM=y and in
> 2.6.26-3 I removed it again.
>
> But maybe that goes too far. Just being able to add to the current
> entry would be a good start already.

        Both these options are far more complex than anything I had
 planned on doing; since while they are laudable goals, the effort
 required seems to be kind of high based on the return -- espescially
 now that the official kernels are not built with kernel-package; the
 audience of kernel-package created images is lower.

        However, I'll be happy to incorporate any patches people submit
 to get this feature into kernel-package.

        manoj
--
People think love is an emotion.  Love is good sense. Ken Kesey