Re: Change user used by package

* Harald Braumann <harry@unheit.net> [090113 16:49]:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:57:11 -0800 Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> > If they remove the user on purge, that should be changed anyway.
>
> Well, jabber-common does remove the user jabber on purge, jabberd2,
> though, doesn't. And it seems that opinions diverge on this matter. See
> e.g. http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/10/msg00338.html.

I've filed a bug against jabber-common.  Though the thread started
without a consensus, it ended with a clear consensus that the user
should not be removed.

> I think I take the easy way out. I'll use the user jabber (create it,
> if it doesn't exist) and don't delete it. I'll also add a conflict to
> jabber-common. If that's a problem for someone, a more sophisticated
> solution can still be implemented.
>
> Cheers,
> harry

Why do you need to conflict with jabber-common?  Both can use the same
user, unless there is a security issue and you don't want executables
from jabber-common to be able to read your config files, in which case
you should use a different user anyway.  Was there another reason
independent of the user issue?

...Marvin