Re: Change user used by package

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:51:29 +0100
"Francesco P. Lovergine" <frankie@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:35:49AM +0100, Harald Braumann wrote:
> >
> > AFAIK, there's no way for multiple independent packages for using
> > the same user.
> >

> Why not? There are already multiple packages that use the same user,
> e.g. www-data. You should only create it and never remove to avoid
> breakages for other packages installed at the same time.

www-data is a globally allocated user. It would of course be possible
to switch to such a user, but that would need changes of base-passwd
and all jabber-related packages. I'm not sure, if it's worth the
trouble. I'm also not sure if a consensus would be reached about the
necessity of a globally allocated jabber user in Debian. Especially as
I don't see much chance of that package getting into Debian main, given
that it's practically unmaintained by upstream.

Cheers,
harry