Re: Change user used by package

Harald Braumann <harry@unheit.net> writes:
> "Francesco P. Lovergine" <frankie@debian.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:35:49AM +0100, Harald Braumann wrote:

>>> AFAIK, there's no way for multiple independent packages for using
>>> the same user.

>> Why not? There are already multiple packages that use the same user,
>> e.g. www-data. You should only create it and never remove to avoid
>> breakages for other packages installed at the same time.
>
> www-data is a globally allocated user. It would of course be possible to
> switch to such a user, but that would need changes of base-passwd and
> all jabber-related packages.

Well, yes, but I don't see why you'd need a globally allocated user.  Why
don't you just use the same username as the other package?  I don't see
why that wouldn't work, and I don't see anything in Policy 9.2 that says
you shouldn't do that.

Hm.  I suppose that you'd get in trouble if either package removed the
user on purge or renamed the user to something else without coordination.