Re: Override changes standard -> optional

On Fri, 2009-01-02 at 13:02 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> writes:
> > On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:29:26AM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> >> I think installing tcpdump is sufficient; adding ethtool on top of it
> >> seems like overkill to me.
>
> > ethtool doesn't seem particularly related to tcpdump?
>
> Oh, sorry, I confused it with a different program.  Hm, ethtool I'd put
> into the borderline category -- one argument in its favor is that you may
> need it in order to fix your networking so that you can get somewhere to
> install more packages.
[...]

ethtool is also part of a standard RHEL or SLE installation.  It is
important for network diagnostics and performance tuning, and
occasionally for working around driver/hardware bugs.  For these reasons
I recently requested that ethtool be made standard.  (For historical
reasons it used to be extra; it has now been upgraded to optional.)

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Lowery's Law: