Re: where is /etc/hosts supposed to come from?

OoO Pendant le  temps de midi du mercredi 30  décembre 2009, vers 12:03,
Gabor Gombas <gombasg@sztaki.hu> disait :

>> If this is a real question, put:
>> 127.0.1.1 fqdn nodename
>>
>> This seems a  very acceptable way to give a FQDN  to your laptop without
>> relying  on network.  hostname -f  and  programs using  a similar  inner
>> working will be able to get the right result.

> Adding meaningless configuration to work around programs that are broken
> by design does not seem like a good solution.

There are  a lot of  programs requiring some  kind of FQDN  (for example
because they implement a protocol requiring it). How should they get it?
I have never  seen a more universal that to get  node name with uname(),
then use gethostbyname(). Please, provide better way.
--
MUD IS NOT ONE OF THE 4 FOOD GROUPS
MUD IS NOT ONE OF THE 4 FOOD GROUPS
MUD IS NOT ONE OF THE 4 FOOD GROUPS
-+- Bart Simpson on chalkboard in episode 9F15