Re: where is /etc/hosts supposed to come from?

On 2009-12-29 10:45:17 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre <vincent@vinc17.org> writes:
> > Even if Debian has its own patches to match its policy, end users are
> > still allowed to compile software from upstream (this is what I do for
> > Mutt, because I have my own patches), and they expect such software to
> > work.
>
> If you expect the software you use to be properly integrated with the
> Debian system, you should use the Debian packages.  That's kind of the
> whole point of what we're all doing here.

When I compile Mutt or any other portable software (e.g. conforming to
POSIX), I don't mind if such software isn't integrated with the Debian
system. I just want it work according to the POSIX spec. If it doesn't
because the system configuration doesn't comply to POSIX, then the
system (configuration) is broken.