Re: quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

Raphael Geissert <geissert@debian.org> writes:

> 3.0 would be friendlier if it would only *not* automatically apply the
> patches when extracting the source. But then there's not much point for
> dpkg to know about patches.

I do think the problem of not having buildable source after dpkg-source -x
is worth solving, and for a while most everyone was using quilt, so
supporting quilt natively was a solid idea.  I've switched over to Git
completely now, though, and while I was a bit dubious when I talked with
people about it two years ago at DebConf, I can see now where patches
aren't the most natural way to think about changes in Git and maintaining
patches is more of a hassle.

I think the way forward for Git-maintained packages is the 3.0 (git)
format, but changed to ship a bundle.  That way, relevant branches and
history can be included, and Git is fairly space-efficient so the
additional cost of doing so isn't that bad.

That does have the drawback of being tied to one particular version
control mechanism again, though.  I'm wondering if possibly something
using the fast-import format that both bzr and Git support might work,
although I suspect that would lose a lot of the compression benefits.