Re: quilt 3.0 source format and dpkg-source/dpkg-buildpackage

On Mo, 28 Dez 2009, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > No, there's a more general recipe for selectively setting QUILT_PATCHES in
> > the documentation in the quilt package.
>
> Pointers please? I checked README.Debian, README.gz, quilt.txt.gz,
> and quilt.quiltrc for QUILT_PATCHES but didn't find anything (although
> I haven't read every line). Thanks.

Ahhhh README.source ... please that is the WRONG location.

README.source is about how the debian package of itself (quilt) in this
case was prepared, not how to use it!!!

Please move that info to README.Debian or README.Using_Quilt or whatever,
the place is damned wrong, to repeat what lintian states:
Info: This package build-depends on a patch system such as dpatch or
 quilt, but there is no <tt>debian/README.source</tt> file.  This file is
 recommended for any package where <tt>dpkg-source -x</tt> does not result
 in the preferred form for making modifications to the package.
 .
 If you are using quilt and the package needs no other special handling
 instructions, you may want to add a <tt>debian/README.source</tt>
 referring to <tt>/usr/share/doc/quilt/README.source</tt>.  Similarly, you
 can refer to <tt>/usr/share/doc/dpatch/README.source.gz</tt> for dpatch.

Specifying usage instruction for quilt in quilt/README.source is wrong.

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force
BELPER
A knob of someone else's chewing gum which you unexpectedly find your
hand resting on under a deck's top, under the passenger seat of your
car or on somebody's thigh under their skirt.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff