Re: Bits from the kernel team

Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> Now that we have a 2.6.32 kernel in unstable, can you updates us
> on the various things mentioned in this mail?

I have another question. The naming policy for linux-image packages seems
to have changed: instead of an ABI we now have "trunk". First I thought
this was a bug, but now that meta packages have been updated to use trunk
too that seems unlikely.

I've not seen any announcement for this, nor any discussion on how this may
affect other packages (such as packages building out of tree modules and
Debian Installer).

I've always considered the fact that a kernel update with a different ABI
did not replace the current kernel an important feature (reducing the need
for an immediate reboot).

Are we no longer interested in the ABI?
What will happen during/after upgrades if the ABI does change?

Would someone care to explain to the rest of the project?

Cheers,
FJP