Re: Bits from the kernel team

On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 01:57 +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > Now that we have a 2.6.32 kernel in unstable, can you updates us
> > on the various things mentioned in this mail?
>
> I have another question. The naming policy for linux-image packages seems
> to have changed: instead of an ABI we now have "trunk". First I thought
> this was a bug, but now that meta packages have been updated to use trunk
> too that seems unlikely.

The error was in uploading 2.6.32-rc8 to unstable rather than
experimental as was intended.  Following that, we could only move
forward to 2.6.32 even though we have not stabilised its configurations
and the resulting ABIs.

> I've not seen any announcement for this, nor any discussion on how this may
> affect other packages (such as packages building out of tree modules and
> Debian Installer).
>
> I've always considered the fact that a kernel update with a different ABI
> did not replace the current kernel an important feature (reducing the need
> for an immediate reboot).
>
> Are we no longer interested in the ABI?
> What will happen during/after upgrades if the ABI does change?
>
> Would someone care to explain to the rest of the project?

Once we are finished with major changes to 2.6.32 (such as the libata
transition) the ABI version will change from 'trunk' to '1' and we will
then try to avoid unnecessary ABI changes.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Experience is what causes a person to make new mistakes instead of old ones.