Re: dh_config_model_upgrade: package upgrade with Config::Model

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 06:11:06PM +0100, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> In the first case, it's better to ship the model in a separate package and
> upload it to CPAN. Debian-perl team will then package it.
>
> In the second case, the model can be shipped only in the debian package.

Well, I believe here you're ignoring the problem of Debian archive bloat
(which might not be a problem for CPAN, but is one for Debian). Still,
from that explanation is clear that in fact packages will be able to
ship their model within themselves, which is good.

As a (very) degenerate case, I can even imagine packages shipping the
model of their conf only for a specific, alebit very tricky,
upgrade. For sure we should not keep this as the motivating example, but
keeping it in mind would, I believe, help maintaining your tool more
easily exploitable.

> I can easily add some code so that you can use config-model-edit (provided by
> Config::Model::Itself) in such a way.
>
> For instance if you want to change the default value of PermitRootLogin, you
> would need to run this line while packaging libconfig-model-openssh-perl:
>
>  config-model-edit -model Sshd -save class:Sshd element:PermitRootLogin \
>  default=no
>
> Does this reply to your question ?

Partly yes, because I know now that I've an extra tool that I can
invoke. Can I write my own upgrade script in Perl and have it play with
the models involved in the upgrade (i.e., the old model and the new
model) in the same scripts to migrate from one to the other in some
ad-hoc way?.

Cheers.