Re: dh_config_model_upgrade: package upgrade with Config::Model

Le vendredi 4 décembre 2009 10:57:51, Stefano Zacchiroli a écrit :
> I wonder why the detail about how the conf file is being upgraded should
> be relevant to the final user at all. As you observe on the wiki page,
> most lusers barely know of the existence of /etc, why should they care
> about Config::Model being used? Ideally, whether to use it or not is a
> choice of the package maintainer.

The idea was to offer the user a possibility to bail out since config-model is
still experimental. But I'm beginning to wonder if this is a good idea...

> > - ensure that a proper configuration model for the application
> >   contained in foobar exists.
>
> Exists where?

Hmm, good point.

I've added these explanation in libconfig-model-perl README.debian:

- ensure that a proper configuration model for the application
  contained in foobar exists. Either:
  - find the package containing the relevant model in Debian
    (something like libconfig-model-foobar-perl)
  - find the package in CPAN and ask debian-perl team to package it
  - write the model. In this case, you may want to subscribe to
    config-model users list (see below)

> It is not clear to me whether in Config::Model you have
> the distinction between meta-models (that live in the Perl lib somehow)
> and models that live in the package.

The model for any application can be delivered either in a separate perl
package (like libconfig-model-approx) or directly within the package. In the
ebd, the model will be installed in the same place. There's no difference in
the model itself.

> On the same line, it is not clear to me whether the maintainer can
> programmatically define updates other than "from model m_1 go to m_2".

Most of the time, there won't be limitations on the number of model version
you can jump. There will be limitations if the model evolves rapidly (i.e. the
configuration semantics also evolve rapidly). This kind of fast evolution is
generally avoided except for new projects.

> Many thanks for your stubborn work on this! :-)

:-}

All the best

Dominique (from home)
--