Re: defaulting to net.ipv6.bindv6only=1 for squeeze

On Dec 10, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> Can you explain (or give pointers to an explanation) what the
> argumentation here is? How does not adhering to relevant standards
> simplify configuration?
There is no relevant standard that says what the default of IPV6_V6ONLY
should be. Currently what happens is that every OS except Linux and OS X
default to 1.
An important point is that the kfreebsd ports only support a default of
1, so these buggy programs need to be fixed anyway to work correctly on
them.

Among the benefits of using different sockets for IPv4 and IPv6 there is
the ability of running two different daemons for v4 and v6 on the same
port and simpler code, removing the need for making IPv6-mapped IPv4
addresses behave like real IPv4 addresses in logs, configuration files
and so on.

I have no objections to reverting this change in time for the release if
there are too many programs to be fixed, but so far I believe that the
results are very encouraging.

--
ciao,
Marco