Re: DEP-5: removed files

Le Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 09:56:29AM +0900, Charles Plessy a écrit :
> Le Mon, Dec 07, 2009 at 12:26:52AM -0800, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> > On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 03:56:51PM +0100, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> >
> > > I remember that debian/copyright should not only list where the
> > > source was downloaded from, but also the files which were removed by
> > > the packager and the motivation for the removal (DFSG, patents,
> > > large convenience copy of a library...). At least, that's how I
> > > interpret this (from [1], I cannot find an excerpt from policy):
> >
> > This is not a requirement of Debian Policy; there are two other ways that
> > Policy already recommends communicating this information:

[…]

> > Given that Policy says to put this elsewhere than debian/copyright, I don't
> > think it makes sense for DEP-5 to specify such sections; this is probably
> > better addressed by including support for free-form comments, as suggested
> > elsewhere.

Dear all,

while checking the section 6.7.8.2 of the Developers reference (“Repackaged
upstream source”) in the context on another thread on this list
([🔎] d921045c2e3ae5ecfba088e9d82eb2c6@drazzib.com">http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/[🔎] d921045c2e3ae5ecfba088e9d82eb2c6@drazzib.com),
I found the following :

  A repackaged .orig.tar.gz

     1. should be documented in the resulting source package. Detailed
        information on how the repackaged source was obtained, and on how this can be
        reproduced should be provided in debian/copyright. It is also a good idea to
        provide a get-orig-source target in your debian/rules file that repeats the
        process, as described in the Policy Manual, Main building script: debian/rules.

I have no strong opinion on the subject, but I think that either the Developers
Reference should be modified to reflect current consensus and practice, or in
contrary the section 6.7.8.2 of the Dev. Ref. argues for the incorporation of
the removing information in the DEP-5 machine-readable format.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,