[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: New source package formats now available

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 02:02:02AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> >  dpkg-source -b heimdal-1.3.1.dfsg.1
> > dpkg-source: info: using source format `3.0 (quilt)'
> > dpkg-source: warning: patches have not been applied, applying them now (use --no-preparation to override)
> > dpkg-source: info: applying all patches with quilt push -q 030_autotools
> > Applying patch 011_sharedlibs
> > Applying patch 020_maintainermode
> > Applying patch 021_debian
> > Applying patch 022_openafs
> > Applying patch 024_rxtelnet
> > Applying patch 025_pthreads
> > Applying patch 027_rsh_use_ktelnet
> > Applying patch 030_autotools
> > Now at patch 030_autotools
> > dpkg-source: info: building heimdal using existing ./heimdal_1.3.1.dfsg.1.orig.tar.gz
> > dpkg-source: error: quilt --quiltrc /dev/null push -q 030_autotools gave error exit status 1
> > dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-source -b heimdal-1.3.1.dfsg.1 gave error exit status 2
> You probably have upstream changes that are not under quilt's control
> (they appear in the .diff.gz up to now). And one of your patches
> depends on that change... without it it doesn't apply. Thus the quilt
> series fails to apply on directory with only the upstream tarball
> unpacked.

Just for the record, I think I have a good guess what happened here, basically
the process I used to change to a new upstream source was flawed, and this was
not immediately obvious.

(this is not intended to be read as a complaint, just my general observations)

Anyway, I used uupdate to update to the new source code. I think at the time
there must have been some changes to the source code with respect to the
org.tar.gz I wasn't aware of. uupdate loyally copied these changes to the new
version, and I created a new autotools patch on top of these changes.

Previously, while yucky, this wouldn't be a problem, because the base changes
would get applied first, before the quilt patches get applies.

With the new source code system, my understanding is that the patches get
applied in the opposite order - patches from debian/patches get applied first,
and any extra changes are applied last in the list.

Hence it didn't work, as the autotools patch was based on changes I hadn't
realized were there.

It seems the best way to upgrade to a new upstream version may be to copy the
debian subtree by hand, and ignore uupdate.
Brian May <bam@snoopy.debian.net>

Reply to: