Re: Unversioned .so file in /usr/lib vs dh_makeshlibs vs postinst-must-call-ldconfig

Le lundi 23 novembre 2009 à 15:30 +0300, Nikita V. Youshchenko a
écrit :
> Moving package-private shared libraries outside of /usr/lib is some amount
> of additional work that maintainer has to do.

Yes. This is one of the reasons why there are maintainers instead of

> If it is not a requirement, then we could find better things to spend time
> on, than introducing and maintaining patches to move package-private libs
> out of /usr/lib, and then dealing with incompatibilities with upstream
> code or other distros or whatever that such a move may introduce.

It’s actually a good way to find if some other package uses some library
intentionally kept private. Sometimes you simply don’t want this to be

As for compatibility with other distros, same answer: if the library is
private, it should not be used outside the package itself, or a small
set of selected packages. This is not something you can rely on for
cross-distribution compatibility. If you need a defined ABI, you need a
regular library with a defined SONAME.

> After all, what's wrong with package-private libs in /usr/lib?

It’s a recipe for failure. It’s a private interface, not defined to
remain compatible. If you make it available in a public place, people
will use it. If people use it, it will fail.

 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'   “I recommend you to learn English in hope that you in
  `-     future understand things”  -- Jörg Schilling