Re: Unversioned .so file in /usr/lib vs dh_makeshlibs vs postinst-must-call-ldconfig

"Nikita V. Youshchenko" <yoush@debian.org> writes:

> How to handle that case, if not putting private library as-is to /usr/lib ?

> Move it to /usr/lib/packagename, and use rpath on binaries?

Yes.

> debian tries to avoid rpath AFAIK ...

Debian tries to avoid RPATH used in ways that might break multilib or
override local administrator settings, which means we want to avoid RPATH
pointing to /usr/lib or to build directories and the like.  But RPATH is
the correct solution for finding private libraries in a subdirectory
included in the package or built from the same source package.