Re: Bits from the FTPMaster meeting

On Sun, Nov 22 2009, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 11:14:29PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>> You are member of the technical comittee, which means that I should trust
>> your experience.  I want you and this list to understand that I take your
>> advice to orphan my packages very seriously.

> Well, that's unfortunate, because Manoj isn't speaking for the
> Technical Committee.

        Right.

> As a fellow member of the TC,

        Does that mean you are speaking with your TC hat on? If so, that
 is wildly inappropriate, if not, mentioning it here is mostly
 irrelevant, and distracting, unless, of course, you want to appear to
 argue from a position of authority.

> I think Manoj was being inappropriately inflammatory and insulting
> with these comments,

        While we are bandying opinions around, let me say that the
 developer with the mind set "Works for my pet architecture(s)", and
 their near kin "Works for me™", and would prefer not to take care of
 bugs on their packages unless their own pet usages are imacted are a
 liability that a project, with the avowed goal of being a universal OS
 and  also of being the "best" OS, can not possibly afford.

> and I think by the time he was done purging the rolls of everyone he
> thought we "shouldn't support" as a maintainer, there'd be nothing of
> Debian left.

        And I think your judgment on what is acceptable quality has
 become dangerously lax. I can only speculate this might be the
 influence of your day job; but down here he have not fully abrogated
 package quality on a fuller range of architectures, and not yet cast
 away quality of implementation for the ease of use for novices.

        It is not enough for people to just not stand in the way of
 other people  trying to fix their packages; Developers should still be
 expected to have an active hand in improving the quality of software
 they maintain, to the best of their abilities.  We are not glorified
 packages with exotic titles like over master of the multiverse; we are
 called "Developers" for a reason.

        mannoj
--
Don't make a big deal out of everything; just deal with everything.