Re: Package formats and software distribution on Linux

Eugene Gorodinsky, 2009-11-20 02:01:19 +0200 :

> There is a sort of oligopoly in linux because of package management.
> There are several main distros which have a lot of package maintainers
> and a lot of packages as a result of this. Smaller distros need to
> choose between compatibility with existing packages and innovation
> (whatever that may be)

[...]

> A universal package format would benefit these distributions, since a
> lot less resources would have to be spent in order to create a new
> distribution.

  I've read that several times, but I still must be missing something.
My impression is that your poins is essentially the following: 1. it's
too much work for "small distros" to use any new format instead of one
of the big established ones; 2. let's reduce the number of big
established formats to one.

  If that's approximately correct, then aren't these points in
contradiction?  I think the choice of established formats actually
benefits the "smaller distros" since they can pick the one more adapted
to their needs.

  Interesting questions nevertheless :-)

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

[...] ou une dent pourrie [...] -- in Variations sur un thème imposé
  -- Signatures à collectionner, série n°2, partie 2/3.