Re: Package formats and software distribution on Linux

Ben Finney wrote:

> Eugene Gorodinsky <e.gorodinsky@gmail.com> writes:
[...]
>> hopefully this discussion will be more welcome here. Constructive
>> crticism is welcome, so feel free to critique.
>
> To be honest, I'm not sure what response you expect to get. There's not
> much substantive to respond to in your message: yes, it would be nice to
> have a common package format, but I don't see what in particular you're
> proposing be done about that.

Not to mention that the package format is not the only thing that matters.
It is the contents of the package, the rules, specs and standards that are
followed that cause the most differences.

Oh and I guess I'm missing something, otherwise why wouldn't shipping rpm
and dpkg be enough to install either kind of packages?

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer
www.debian.org - get.debian.net