Re: GDM, getty and VTs

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 07:13:39AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:

> Of course, if no *dm is used, then the system should logically default
> to N consoles with the first one on tty1. I'd say that N should, in
> such case, be greater than 2.

This adds much more complexity to the getty configuration than is otherwise
necessary, because we also want to make sure that if no DM is configured,
the tty that's up by default at boot time has a login prompt on it.  I don't
think this complexity is warranted; I think it's much more straightforward
to just make sure tty1 is always a getty, and always open X on tty7, in the
default config.

(I consider it a failure of the gdm upstream rewrite that the code no longer
implements support for this; but really, that's just one of many regressions
in functionality from the new upstream version of gdm...)