Re: GDM, getty and VTs

Josselin Mouette wrote:
Le samedi 14 novembre 2009 à 17:42 +0100, Bernhard R. Link a écrit :
* Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> [091114 17:26]:
I guess you mean as long as there is no negociation between gdm and
whatever decides where gettys go?
GDM does try to use a VT that is not currently in use - although there
can be race conditions.
So gdm does not negotiate but just claims "first!".

What else can it do? It has to manage its VTs for itself. Currently it
is simply forced to use the ones starting from tty7, but it is arbitrary
and inconsistent.

Inconsistent? The people who cares known about Alt-F7. Any change
will make it inconsistent.

Arbitrary? Yes, like "$" on key four.

Main display should have a constant tty (on normal configuration).
[x crashed, we must be able to tell our user how to restore most
of the system in a easy way]

If you think it is so important to move tty, please check what is
gnome and what is gnome independent, so if possible, provide a
generic program or library that do the right thing for all
Debian (not just for GNOME).  Otherwise, please provide patch
for the main xdm (and clones), to have a consistent behaviour.

ciao
	cate