Re: GDM, getty and VTs

Josselin Mouette, le Sat 14 Nov 2009 15:45:11 +0100, a écrit :
>       * I don’t think we need more than 2 of these. They are still
>         useful for servers or when some disaster happens in the GUI, but
>         who opens 6 console sessions nowadays?

Blind people and crazy people who always run startx by hand, and also on
servers.  Actually I even sometimes need to open another one.  No, even
in that case I don't necessarily want to run X.  Yes, in that case gdm
doesn't get started so it shouldn't be so hard to find a solution.

>       * For desktop machines, the display manager starts on tty7, which
>         means there is a tty switch to display it. This causes a small
>         latency and can also create some bugs when you’re using a
>         graphical boot splash.

The graphical boot splash could go to tty7.

>       * Does upstart make things like dynamic allocation of VTs
>         possible?
>       * Otherwise, shouldn’t we replace the getty processes started by
>         init by a small daemon that can allocate them as we see fit?
> In all cases, as long as some consoles are managed by /etc/inittab we
> are kind of doomed.

I guess you mean as long as there is no negociation between gdm and
whatever decides where gettys go?

Samuel