Re: The horde of sloppy maintainers is a myth. Maybe not. Maybe yes.

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> (12/11/2009):
> I am not the one who calls people sloppy, stupid or candid on this
> list.

You started talking about people being non sloppy, that was not my
language. (Or maybe I didn't dig enough to find another mention of it
earlier in the thread, my bad should that be the case.)

> Since you want facts, why not giving the name of the maintainers who
> upload packages with missing Build-Depends and ignore the bugs after
> it is reported? I see no problem on challenging the quality of
> people's work on this list if it is done with an appropriate
> language. This will help everybody to know what the situation really
> is.

Look at e.g. the history of non-buildability for Alastair McKinstry's
packages. udunits[1,2] comes to mind. (Note I don't think I'm a
carebear, but that I'm not that used to YELLING in bugreports. Until
then.) hdf-eos4[3] or hdf-eos5[4] are nice, too. Happened with other
packages, too.

 1. https://buildd.debian.org/build.cgi?pkg=udunits
 2. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=545653
 3. https://buildd.debian.org/build.cgi?pkg=hdf-eos4
 4. https://buildd.debian.org/build.cgi?pkg=hdf-eos5

Note that _you_ started asserting things, _you_ should be presenting
facts to back it up. And if you really want a list of maintainers not
caring, dig through FTBFS bugs, as I said. There are enough of them to
and I'm not going to spend any more time on this.

Anyway: ignoring the bugs afterwards is orthogonal to the actual
problem, which is uploading broken packages in the first place. Even
if the problem is quickly fixed, buildd time was lost, buildd
maintainer time was lost, RC bug traffic was caused, etc.

> I was just having a look at debian-newmaint and realised that since
> I visit this list (2006), I have not seen any AM report that is not
> elogious on the future new DD. Are all newcomers excellent and
> old-timers careless ? Or is it just that a handful of DDs maintain
> too many packages and are burned out?

Would it be unreasonable to think that a careless old-timer could be
elogious to a careless newcomer?

Note that shit uploads can be done by either old-timers, or by people
sponsored by old-timers. Both old and new people can be at fault. Not
a generational conflict, I guess.

Last-
mail-
Mraw,