Re: Cross compiler ITP (armel)

Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> 2009/11/2 Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de>:
>> Why do you need --sysroot support? Or what prevents a --sysroot of /
>> when using the multiarch directories?
>>
>> It seems like wasted work with multiarch being a release goal for
>> squeeze. Hop on the wagon and make it work for you too.
>
> As you already know, multiarch does not have a plan (yet) for -dev
> packages. In terms of cross compiling, things are unclear which way is
> painless sysroot or multiarch (orthogonal solutions). The more I
> think, the more I believe sysroot is painless.

Your cross-libfoo-dev package would have to solve this. Usualy the
cross-libfoo-dev package would only contain the *.so link in
/usr/lib/arch-os-libc/ and depend on the normal -dev package. Only
when the library has architecture specific include files (not in the
architecture specific dir) would you need to move header files
around. Short term in dpkg-cross, long term in the debian package
itself.

For multiarch the problematic part is actually just splitting out the
*.so links into an arch:any package and common header files into an
arch:all package. A lot of work to modify rules files and lots of new
tiny debs for the archive (and NEW processing). So it got put off for
later. Your dpkg-cross can automatically do this in 99% of cases
leaving verry little handholding.

> But anyway, maybe the solution is having both kind of compilers, so is
> the user the one that chooses it or maybe we can continue walking
> until multiarch shows its head.
>
> --
>  Héctor Orón

MfG