Re: debian/rules "make -f" restriction

On Thu Oct 29 15:58, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 11:37:20AM +0100, Tobi wrote:
> > Are there any serious objections against just overriding and ignoring
> > the Linitan warning about not having "make -f" in the shebang line?
>
> As long as you don't have an objection against having serious bugs filed
> and your packages not be part of a stable Debian release, I guess not.

put me in the camp that doesn't think this is necessary. If it behaves
precisely the same way as a makefile which does have that shbang line
when compiling the standard Debian package I really don't think there is
a problem with this.

I'm also against the suggestion which reduces debian/rules to:

ifeq (....)
   include real-debian-rules.mk
else
   include alternate-debian-rules.mk
endif

At least the VDR solution means that if I just care about fixing the
package in normal Debian mode, I can look at Debian rules and see what's
going on, not have to go look at some other file which contains the real
debian/rules.

This is all far nicer than (for example) the packaging for the kernel,
which is really scary, but does have the right shbang line.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson