Re: usplash-theme-debian uploaded to sid

Hi Raphael,

thanks for your comments!

On Sonntag, 25. Oktober 2009, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> First of all thanks for your work.
> Second, while working on optimising the boot process I have found usplash
> and splashy (basically any userspace splash screen) to have a high CPU
> usage and actually slow down several seconds the boot process.
> Has there been any work on making them more efficient?

I believe so, but I'm not fully sure. But usplash in ubuntu is significantly
ahead of the debian version and I expect that they have put some work into
it, as a faster boot is also an ubuntu goal.

> Are you (and/or whoever maintains the splash packages) aware that sysvrc in
> the makefile concurrency mode (which should become the default at some
> point in the future) does not handle the splash progress bar API?

No, until now, not.

> I personally think that as the boot process becomes faster there will be
> little point in having progress bars in splash screens (and this might be
> the part of cause of the high CPU usage, but I'm just guessing that part).

Yeah, I dont think the progress bar is the most important thing usplash gives.
Getting rid of/hiding the "confusing kernel messages scrolling by"  (*) is
what I consider the most important thing. But then, if the boot time is 60
secs, some people might prefer a progress bar still, or maybe not a progress
bar but any progress indicator of some sort. So my idea is definitly to
provide different kinds of themes, for different use cases.

(*) oh, yes, sometimes those "weird" messages are absolutly must have (and for
some percentage they are of course not weird at all :) But even I, who
understand them, usually just prefer my system to boot up quiet and shiny.

> What are the plans for squeeze?

Having up2date usplash and a variety of themes.

> I am preparing some changes to readahead-fedora to cut at least a couple of
> seconds more (can be expected in less than two weeks) and even more changes
> to speed it up even more. JFTR my laptop gets to the end of rc2 in 16
> seconds (and to a ready-to-use password-protected desktop in ~60 seconds,
> but I'm working on that too); while it used to take more than 40 seconds
> just to get to the end of rc2.

Cool! Very.

regards,
	Holger