Re: usplash-theme-debian uploaded to sid

Hi Holger,

Holger Levsen wrote:
[...]
> Today I've uploaded [1 usplash-theme-debian_5] to sid, making it the first
> upload since more than two years. To celebrate this and to make the
> (upcoming) change(s more) visible, I've exchanged the artwork against the
> one
> [2 by Chad Albers].

First of all thanks for your work.
Second, while working on optimising the boot process I have found usplash
and splashy (basically any userspace splash screen) to have a high CPU
usage and actually slow down several seconds the boot process.
Has there been any work on making them more efficient?
Are you (and/or whoever maintains the splash packages) aware that sysvrc in
the makefile concurrency mode (which should become the default at some
point in the future) does not handle the splash progress bar API?

I personally think that as the boot process becomes faster there will be
little point in having progress bars in splash screens (and this might be
the part of cause of the high CPU usage, but I'm just guessing that part).

What are the plans for squeeze?

I am preparing some changes to readahead-fedora to cut at least a couple of
seconds more (can be expected in less than two weeks) and even more changes
to speed it up even more. JFTR my laptop gets to the end of rc2 in 16
seconds (and to a ready-to-use password-protected desktop in ~60 seconds,
but I'm working on that too); while it used to take more than 40 seconds
just to get to the end of rc2.

Cheers,
--
Raphael Geissert - Debian Developer