Re: Is it time to remove sun-java6?

Matthias Klose wrote:
On 11.10.2009 00:29, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
In article<[🔎] 87d44vrp09.fsf@mid.deneb.enyo.de>  you wrote:
Not necessarily.  It could also be a genuine compatibility issue with
the IcedTea plug-in.

We regularly see Bugs different from the ones on the Sun distribution. And as a commercial software vendor we just dont support OpenJDK for that reason
(with a normal support contract).

Since other software vendors try to reduce the number of supported platforms as well, this is a strong reason for still providing a debian package for
commercial JRE.

Of course once the OpenJDK is more widely used on the Enterprise Desktop
ISVs have to reconsider their policy in order to support thei most common customers requests. But at least with my customers this is not the case.

But they support running the Sun binaries on Debian? Interesting. Please note that you can certify OpenJDK, provided that the binaries you ship pass the TCK. Do it for Debian, it just requires a lot of time to kill. The OpenJDK binaries from Ubuntu/jaunty did pass the TCK, so maybe try to use these to convince your customer and then run the TCK on the Debian binaries to see if they pass.

  Matthias
no we dont certify debian or ubuntu. But for Desktop (JavaWebStart in our case) we dont have OS restrictions, only Browser and JRE.

Gruss
Bernd