Re: Is it time to remove sun-java6?

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 09:03:10AM +0000, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Apart from font issues, we've received very few bug reports on
> OpenJDK.  I know of one C2 bug in stable which I probably should
> report, but there is no isolated changeset we could backport, so it's
> only fixable by moving stable to a newer IcedTea release. 8-(

(I'm assuming you're referring to bug report on IcedTea here.)

Is that surprising at all? According to popcon [1,2], IcedTea is
installed 1 tenth time wrt the number of sun-java6 plugin installations
(which is probably an underestimation, given that the sun-java6 plugin
package was just a meta package).

How about making an announcement (Debian News, d-d-a) that explains how
to switch to IcedTea and that you are looking for testers?

Cheers.

[1] http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=sun-java6
[2] http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=openjdk-6